Thursday, October 23, 2008

In which Matthew makes two little dents

I have now done two things which make me feel a smidgeon less powerless in these final days of great American historical import. In true schlemihl form, I backed accidentally into both of them.

1. This past summer, I was in debt and I had to go abroad for research, so I couldn't take a teaching appointment, or any moderately steady job. I only showed up at the door of the Grassroots Campaigns Berkeley office because I would have starved otherwise. It is only good timing, strange luck, and the second prettiest smile in the party (Joe's is prettier) which allowed me to earn the Most Money Raised Door-to-Door for the Democrats in a Single Night (in Berkeley, no less!) -- a record which still stands, I believe. I raised over $2000 for the DNC that week, and since we really vote with our dollar in this country, I'm glad I got the chance to do so.

2. Just got an IM this morning: "just wanted to let you know that I actually took your idea of making little 'i voted' buttons on Facebook and it is happening! So, way to go - great idea! Look for the buttons on election day ;)" My old friend from middle school (she sang then, too) works in Business Development for Facebook, and is currently leading the charge on their political/election '08 strategy. She was polling around for ideas some weeks ago, and I suggested the FB equivalent of those "I Voted!" stickers they give you -- the unstickered are thus shamed and pressured into finding the time to get to the booths. Good, old-fashioned electronic peer pressure may do the trick in getting lazy Americans (myself included) to actually pull the lever this year, and I'm proud to have helped.

No comments: