Tuesday, September 9, 2008

In which Matthew retreats into parody

Subject: Re: Melding together the Old English and Paleography reading groups From: [the snazzy new medievalist first-year]
Date: Mon, September 8, 2008 6:29 pm
To: [me]
Cc: [other medievalists who, like me, I am sure, knew just about jack regarding the texts mentioned below until they turned to wikipedia in a panic]

Great!

I was going to organize the paleography by date/script and start with the Epinal Glosses, Codex Aureus, and a few other early MSS. I will probably do the Chronicle in week three because it provides a good example of changing scripts in late ASE.

What do you think about making the first meeting a combo-intro meeting? We'll do a bit of both, maybe translate the famous short passage in the codex aureus that describes how the book was saved from the heathens!

Anyways, I'm glad you like the idea! I'll put together an announcement and send it to you.

Thanks,
[snazzy first-year]

-------

Subject: Re: Melding together the Old English and Paleography reading groups From: [me]
Date: Mon, September 8, 2008 6:29 pm
To: [another medievalist]
Cc: [not the snazzy new first-year, because I'm embarrassed... even though the medievalist I sent this to ended up telling the first-year anyway]

!!!

Where did we FIND this guy?

Also:

Saints' lives, vitae, sermons by Aelfric
Unh, the way he colloquizes the alph'bet
Beats the boys when they tryin' ta talkback
But if Alfred had had him he'd have betta Latin

Oh, oh, the Saxon monks be seethin'
The way the Danes invade and keep on repeatin'
Can't read this handwritin', call Henry Sweet in
I'm pretty glad we saved this book from the heathens

Whatchu know 'bout Bede
Whatchu whatchu know 'bout Bede
Whatchu know 'bout Bede
Whatchu whatchu know?
They say my Epinal Glosses poppin'
My Epinal Glosses cool
Codices be hoppin'
in Anglo-Saxon school


That's how I cope with never having heard of the Epinal Glosses before. Please tell me you know Lil' Mama's song "Lip Gloss". Otherwise the above makes no sense.

Best,
[me]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aha!

b